Valverde unsure of ´great player´ Coutinho´s future

Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde says he is in the dark over whether Philippe Coutinho could join from Liverpool in the transfer window.

Reports in Spain and England suggest Liverpool have softened their stance on the Brazil star, having refused to entertain any offers for him during August.

Barca are said to have not yet made an offer but there is speculation that a bid worth an initial €110million is being readied and that the deal could go through this month.

Valverde thinks Coutinho is a great player but insists he does not want to talk openly about anyone outside his own squad.

Sometimes I come in here and I learn about things that are happening; whether they re true or not, I don t know, he told a news conference ahead of Barca s Copa del Rey clas…

Luis Neto welcomes Napoli interest; Diego Lugano edges closer to Malaga switch

Luis Neto welcomes Napoli interest

Siena defender Luis Neto is interested in joining Napoli in the January transfer window, according to the player’s representative.

The Azzurri have lined up the Portuguese defender as a replacement for banned captain Paolo Cannavaro, but the problem is Juventus and few other top clubs are also keen.

Siena appear ready to sell their prized asset provided the price is right, and Neto’s representative admits that Napoli may have an advantage over their rivals for the player’s signature.

“Neto likes Napoli, he knows it is a great team, and he might want to play in a club like this,” agent Bruno Carvalho said to Radio Crc.

“There was a conversation between Siena and Napoli, but nothing official. We are wa…

Madrid success motivates Callejon

Jose Callejon has stressed that he is determined to help Real Madrid to more silverware next season after winning the Liga title in 2011-12.

The attacker re-joined Madrid from Espanyol at the end of the 2010-11 season, and immediately won the first major trophy of career.

However, Callejon is not satisfied just yet and is desperate to add some more silverware to his trophy cabinet in the upcoming years.

I hope everything goes well next year and that we may win many titles, Callejon told the club s official website.

My objective is to continue giving Real Madrid everything I have in me. Everyone has goals and mine is to continue improving.

The 25-year-old netted five goals in 25 La Liga appearances this term, while scoring five more in the Cha…

Celtic face competition for Mark McKenzie

Celtic face stiff competition for the signature of long-standing target Mark McKenzie of Philadelphia Union, according to the MLS club s sporting director Ernst Tanner.

Celtic have reportedly been interested in the 21-year-old defender for a while, but this summer they ended up signing Shane Duffy on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion for a fee of £2 million instead. Tanner confirmed to Sky Sports that the talks between Union and Celtic had been held, and Celtic apparently remain interested for the deal to take place in the near future.

However, Tanner also said that the Hoops aren t the only club to have expressed an interest in McKenzie, and that there have been inquiries from the Premier League and the Bundesliga as well.

McKenzie came through the ranks at t…

Ronaldo: I never saw Messi as a rival

Cristiano Ronaldo insisted he never saw Lionel Messi as a rival after Juventus brushed past Barcelona in the Champions League.

Ronaldo converted two penalties and Weston McKennie also scored at Camp Nou, where Juve claimed a 3-0 win and top spot in Group G on Tuesday.

Messi had a game-high 11 shots, including seven on target, but Barca fell as he faced Ronaldo – who starred during nine seasons in LaLiga with Real Madrid – once more.

Ronaldo, who shared a brief embrace with Messi before the clash, said there was no rivalry between the two all-time greats.

I have always had a very cordial relationship with him, the Juve star told Movistar+.

I shared 12, 13 or 14 years of award ceremonies with him. I never saw him as a rival.

He always…

Muntari extends Milan stay

Milan have announced that midfielder Sulley Muntari has extended his contract until the end of the 2015-16 season.

The 29-year-old scored six goals in 35 appearances in all competitions last term for Milan.

And his form has been rewarded with a fresh deal as new coach Filippo Inzaghi looks to improve on a disappointing campaign.

Milan finished eighth last season and sacked two coaches Massimiliano Allegri and former player Clarence Seedorf as a result.

A brief Milan statement released on Wednesday read: AC Milan announces that Sulley Muntari has renewed his contract to June 30, 2016.

Muntari joined Milan from arch-rivals Inter on loan in January 2012 before signing permanently later that year.

He is representing Ghana at the 2014 FIFA World Cup and p…

Moyes: Chips banned because some United players were fat

Former Manchester United manager David Moyes admitted to banning chips during his brief spell at Old Trafford.

David Moyes said he prohibited the consumption of chips at Manchester United because he felt some of the players were overweight.

Moyes came in for criticism following his sacking last April, with former United centre-back Rio Ferdinand critical of the Scot s decision to clear chips of the menu.

Eating low-fat chips had been a ritual under Alex Ferguson prior to Moyes arrival in Manchester.

Moyes now in charge of La Liga outfit of Real Sociedad has opened up about the decision to scrap chips in an interview with Four Four Two magazine, claiming some of his players were fat.

Yes, I did ban chips, said Moyes, who only lasted 10 months of h…

Man Utd lose Scholes for 10 weeks

Paul Scholes will be out of action for up to ten weeks after suffering medial ligament damage in Manchester United s 3-0 Champions League win over Aalborg, the club revealed on Wednesday.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson had estimated that he without the midfielder for six to eight weeks in the immediate aftermath of the match in Denmark.

But the club s medical staff confirmed on Wednesday that a longer lay-off is on the cards, presenting Ferguson with a major headache in terms of his midfield options just as United appeared to be emerging from a sluggish start to the season.

United are already without Michael Carrick, who will not be back for at least another month after breaking a bone in his foot in the 2-1 defeat at Liverpool on September 13.

To add…

Red, red, whine: Silva takes aim at referee Kavanagh as Fulham fold at Old Trafford

Marco Silva fumed at referee Chris Kavanagh and his VAR colleagues after Fulham s spectacular FA Cup implosion at Manchester United, claiming his team were hard done by before seeing red.

The Cottagers bowed out with nine men at Old Trafford as they surrendered a 1-0 lead and eventually went down 3-1 after head coach Silva, striker Aleksandar Mitrovic and midfielder Willian were all red-carded in quick succession.

Fulham were on course for their first appearance in the last four of the competition since 2002, but their hopes were extinguished as the tie descended into chaos when referee Kavanagh awarded United a penalty 18 minutes from time.

After consulting VAR, and red-carding Silva for his protests, Kavanagh sent off Willian for handling Jadon Sancho s shot on…

Kepa: De Gea relationship is very good

Kepa Arrizabalaga insisted his relationship with Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea remains strong as the pair compete to be first choice for Spain in their forthcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers.

Chelsea shot-stopper Kepa got the nod from Spain head coach Luis Enrique in two of Spain s last four internationals, and he kept a clean sheet in a 2-0 victory over Malta and a 1-0 win over Bosnia-Herzegovina.

De Gea, who at 28 is four years Kepa s senior, was Spain s first choice at the 2018 World Cup and played the duration of all 38 of Manchester United s Premier League matches last season.

Luis Enrique also has Real Betis Pau Lopez at his disposal for Spain s qualifiers against the Faroe Islands and Sweden, and Kepa said there is healthy competition in the squad.